VMware server 2.0 however was end-of-support >1 year ago. The last software update I believe was from 2009/2010. Plus the fact that I had big problems getting it to work on a Windows 7 64-bit host makes me want to move away from VMware Server 2.0.
What is the best VMware Server 2.0 alternative??
There’s a couple of free products.
- Oracles Virtualbox
also look at the community website www.virtualbox.org
- Citrix Xenserver
- Microsoft Virtual PC
- Promox VE
- VMware ESXi 5
NOTE: this post is being updated as my research is continuing, more like a ‘working document’
Which to choose?
– Runs on Windows, OSX, Linux, etc
– Supports USB2 (even though I use a Belkin LAN USB hub)
– Not familiar with this product
Microsoft Virtual PC
– No or bad USB support
– Microsoft product
– Only runs on bare metal which is no option for me as I use this server as a Windows
machine – don’t want to run everything virtualized
– Homeseer server migration