Here’s instructions and lessons learned when migrating Homeseer to a new (different) Operating System. In my case from Windows 2000 Server to Windows 7 Ultimate.
Select Operating System
Select OS / Buy license: Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit
Why this release?
– Microsofts useless comparison
– Wikipedia’s usefull comparison
A poll on the Homeseer forum revealed the following: (click to zoom)
Identify applications on current server
Which applications are installed on your current server? Take screenshots of:
– the \Program Files\ folder
– the Control Panel Software section
Check which COM ports were being used on the old server (Device Manager), take a screenshot
– COM1: IRTrans (?Ethernet?)
– COM5: CTX35 (via Belkin LAN USB)
– COMx: Bluetooth (via Belkin LAN USB)
Make sure you have installers & configuration backed up for all SW that needs to be re-installed on the new system
|Plugins & Scripts using updater
Plugins & Scripts manually installed
– Homeseer Plugins
Settings & Scripts
RSH Router config pull
Get installers / original files
For all of the above (where required), make sure you have the ‘installation’ files (right version).
Create Migration Procedure
Document what exactly you plan to do:
- OLD – Backup entire server using disk imaging software (or the Virtual Machine files)
- OLD – Backup Homeseer folder including all sub folders
Backup your license files/numbers
Q: Only while HS is shutdown?
- OLD – Screenshot your Homeseer “Setup / Interfaces” to record your version numbers
Screenshot your HS Licenses at http://<yourHomeseerIP>/hslf
Print all of your devices, events and setup pages of Homeseer to PDFs or screenshots, trust me..
- NEW – Copy entire HS folder to new OS
Q: In case of Windows 7, copy to \Program Files\ or \Program Files x86\?
- NEW – Start HS, go to updater, install all plugins you had, even though they appear to be installed already
Q: What about plugins installed manually?
Note: The HS Installer or Upgrader will not overwrite the INI files which you have previously pasted back, it will simply ensure everything is registered.
- NEW -xx
- OLD – uninstall Homeseer to release the license
- NEW – Do xxx to activate the license
Build New OS
NOTE: If you install HS from scratch, you will have 30 days to migrate your license.
Q: Do you have to uninstall your old license to reclaim your license?