Yes, on a rainy Saturday afternoon I took my family to the Amsterdam Apple-store where I bought the Philips Hue starter kit. YES it is not cheap but I really wanted to experience these new LED technologies and integrate them into my home automation system.
The system uses Zigbee for communication between all components.
What’s in the Starter kit?
A not-so-pretty price-tag of € 199,-
– 3 LED light bulbs
– 1 Bridge with ethernet port and a power supply
It doesn’t get any easier. Even my mother could setup these lights!
- Plug-in the power adapter and connect it to the bridge
- Connect ethernet cable to the bridge
- Put a Hue bulb in a lamp
- Start iPhone app and press the button on the bridge
What can you do with it?
– Control through your iPhone/iPad/Android phone- Control using an application on OSX or Windows
– Integrate with Homeseer :-)
How to add value by integrating it into my home automation system?
– Control using all existing home automation controllers (IR, web, IP phone, touch-screen, RF remote, etc)
– Automated control of lamps based on erh… anything
(washing machine ready: flash red, doorbell ring: flash green, facebook update: flash blue, etc)
Implementation details will be posted on the Hue Project page
More info– Lifx lightbulbs