- MONITOR water consumption. Knowing how much water you use and when you use it. Awareness will lower the water usage.
Thanks to Jaybe I found that my current water meter does have an output for pulse counting.
How to measure?
Water meter has an output that can be read by a ‘reed-relay‘. Every .5 Liter of water a magnet switches a small loop. This loop (reed-relay) is connected to an RFX (Pulse) Meter. This sends out the information to HomeSeer.
- Open your RFXMeter and insert the RFXPulse module
- Connect reed-relay to Open ended cable
- Connect this cable to the RFXPulse module
- Fine tune the position of the reed relay to make sure it sends out a pulse
- Configure HomeSeer RFXCOM plugin for new pulse module
- €32 RFXPulse with Open End cable (code 10502)
(thank you for the updated information Raymond!)
- € 14 Reed-contact (Conrad) (or use the reed relay from a KAKU doorsensor, which is good for nothing except a reed relay ;-)
NOTE: you need an RFXMeter to use the RFXPulse module!
Measure shower water
To measure shower water usage you need to identify when to:
- start measuring – when somebody steps on the scale
- stop measuring – 15 minutes after start
As I happen to have an Oregon weight scale that allowed me to identify the user
So if I step on the scale, my weight device in HomeSeer updates. Now a homeseer script records the water usage, waits 15 minutes and checks the water usage again. It puts the difference in my water usage device. (there is 2 scripts like this, one for me and one for my wife).
Z66 – virtual shower water usage device
^8 – virtual daily water (could also be total water I guess)
&hs.setdevicestring “Z66”, (hs.devicevalue (“^8″)/2) & ” L”
&hs.setdevicevalue “Z66”, (hs.devicevalue (“^8”)/2)
&hs.writelog “Shower”, “Water BEFORE shower: ” & (hs.devicevalue (“^8”)/2) & “L”
Wait: 15 minutes
&hs.writelog “Shower”, “Water AFTER shower: ” & (hs.devicevalue (“^8”)/2) & “L”
&hs.writelog “Shower”, “Difference: ” & (hs.devicevalue (“^8”)/2)-hs.devicevalue (“Z66”) & “L”
&hs.setdevicestring “Z66”, (hs.devicevalue (“^8”)/2)-hs.devicevalue (“Z66″) & ” L”
&hs.setdevicevalue “Z66”, (hs.devicevalue (“^8”)/2)-hs.devicevalue (“Z66”)
NOTE: Set the “Cannot retrigger for” to 900 seconds (15 minutes). Otherwise you could step on the scale twice in a row and get messed up data.
Caveat: it will count ALL water used during this 15 minute period
Caveat: it works because we step on the scale before taking a shower (which is not a bad habit anyway)
Note: if it works you can remove green ‘writelog’ lines