You might wonder why I do this, which is normal. Let’s call it a hobby. Using these new technologies we know what’s going on in our house. How many power, water and gas do we use. Knowing your weight and seeing a trend allows you to adjust the way you live. Realizing that you use 80 Liters of perfectly good drinking water to take a shower makes you change the way you shower. Guess what, now I use <30 liters.
It’s all about
1. having knowledge; conscious; cognizant: aware of danger.
2. informed; alert; knowledgeable; sophisticated
…”knowing what you do allows you to change”…
…”You know what you do but you don’t.
Seeing it makes you realize this and allows you to change patterns & behaviour”…
- Lower body weight
- Lower water usage
- Lower power consumption
- Not enough time to spend on this hobby ;-)
What can I Control
- Power status devices
- TV,decoder,media-player (IR)
- Devices (power)
What can I Monitor
- Temperature in every room and outside
- Humidity in most rooms and outside
- Water usage
- Power usage (total)
- Gas usage
- Door and window status (security)
- Presence (who is home)
- Car Presence is the car at home?
- Car Tracking where is the car?
- Power usage (total and for most devices)
- Statistics (doors open, toilet visits, hours of TV usage, etc)
- Traffic information xxxxxxx
- Rain fall & status
- Camera monitoring the house
How to control or monitor?
- Using a web-browser
- Using a phone (browser)
- Using an iPhone/iPod/iPad (web interface)
- Using an iPhone/iPod/iPad application (HomeSeer Touch)
- Using an IVR (voice response)
- Using an IP phone (XML service)
- Using a Windows (CE) touch-screen
- Using the media player through the TV
- Using a remote-control
- Using a switch ;-)
- Using Twitter
- Based on Events (time, motion, presence, etc)
There’s more that I cannot think of right now. This will be updated at a later stage.